Sign in to follow this  
Alex

Worst job?

7 posts in this topic

What's the worst job you've ever had? I worked in a factory making housings for industrial generators and tbh I think I'd rather work a minimum wage job at wendys than do that ever again

• Like 1

My worst job would be working in a family pizza parlour, there was like 3 sisters who would always be either yelling or fighting or something on shift, we could have customers at the front counter and them yelling in the back. They’re also were a bunch of fights between staff and customers because they don’t get a free 80 cent dip with their pizzas. I then went on vacation for weeks and got fired for apparently stealing money when all I was doing was tucking the laces back into my shoes. And it was all min wage, you only got paid once a month and half the time it wasn’t even the full pay check it would only be part of it, the business was sooo sketchy that they never did receipts and all the cash money like 20$ plus was put into a cupboard and basically then pocketed by the owner with no trace or claims so he never paid proper taxes 

• Confused 1

Yikes that sounds pretty bad. A close second for me was the pizza place I worked at but it's got nothing on that, just some dumb people

Making rocket model kits for an in-house business. Sounds cool, right? I could listen to music, podcasts, whatever.

It was basically a small scale factory operation with one other guy, and it was the worst.

Luckily though, I'm making 15/hr as a driver for Amazon now so there's a positive spin to this worst job story. :^)

Three years working in a tissue engineering/regenerative medicine research center as a biomedical engineer. The "cool" factor of everything carried me through the first year. After I had basically learned everything, it all became insanely tedious. Didn't help that I had a boss who was super new to the field - so she was out to prove herself. (Through I've gotta admit I wouldn't have gotten the job fresh out of undergrad if she wasn't new - so I am thankful for the opportunity.)

Any time we didn't get positive results, she would blow up at us and make us redo experiments from scratch while micromanaging us to see where we screwed up. It was like she had forgotten that a basic part of research is ending up with negative results. I get it though, the overall culture was publish/results or leave.

Very toxic, so I dipped out into consulting after we finally wrapped up our knee joint regeneration project and I've been pretty happy ever since.

When I first got out of College I was hired as an apprentice carpenter for a local contractor, it sounded like a good job until I found out our first job was to build an office space and milking room inside a dairy barn that was active..... worst smell I’ve ever had to endure and I had to endure it for 3 months... When we finished that job I had to throw out all the clothes/gear I wore while I worked there, including my lunch can.

I worked for a family portrait chain. My manager was like 20 and mentally unstable. I'd work 6 14 hour days in a row and sometimes not get a lunch break. Due to coporate policy, we had to make appointments every 15 minutes even though our branch had neither the staff or the studio space to support it so people would come in with their small children and wait 2.5 hours for their photo shoot and their kids were often livid by the time they got on set.

I used to have a pixie cut and glasses like Kim jong il. I remember one day i was wearing a blue striped button down shirt and a little girl called me a boy and an angry Christian mom called me a dyke and accused me of stealing her phone in the same day.

To make matters worse, my manager would give the photographers she liked the more affluent appearing and bigger groups while some of us got the poor, single child families. She did this so that she could claim we didn't meet sales quota which was kind of bullshit because I felt pretty terrible trying to upsell photos to a family on food stamps 😕

I remember one day she got really emotional and chewed me out for something that was actually a computer problem in front of a customer. After the sale, she decided to punish me for making an ass out of herself because I didn't tell her what the problem was (I did) and made me scrub the white backdrop all the way in the back of the studio and answer the CORDLESS phone in the front of the studio but I couldn't take the cordless phone in the back unless it was someone important that she wanted to talk to because she was SITTING AT THE DESK where the phone was located.

I was at that job for about a month before I called it quits. I got paid $17/hr but it wasn't worth having 4 days off that entire month and dealing with my manager's crazy ass.