Sign in to follow this  
IroncladFerret

What's your struggle?

34 posts in this topic

Just wanted to make a thread where the can have some real talk with one another.

What is something you need help with or advice on, or just something you want to dump into the internet aether? Money, drugs, parents, school, depression, whatever...

If you're a dick, do not proceed - let's keep it civil.

To get the party started: My weight has been a huge issue for me. I love food and I'm fat as hell. Going to a doc next week to start a weight loss plan because I haven't really been seeing any changes with plain diet and exercise. I've put on a lot of muscle over the past few months, so my friends joke that I am going bearmode now...but I'd really like to slim down as well. My next step will probably be Keto of VLCD, but I want to get physician input.

Beyond that life is good. Job and education-wise I am fairly solid. This is just a major hole in my lifestyle that I need to address. Not really looking for advice - just wanted to dump what was on my mind. Feel free to do the same :)

Sorry to hear homie, I know alot of people who suffer with obesity. Most of the time its usually genetics and your metabolism isnt as active as everyone elses, nothing to be ashamed of. What really matters is that you keep your cholesterol low, decrease your carb intake, take fiber pills in the morning. Never skip breakfast because it helps your metabolism. Again if your big its genetics, what really matters is if your healthy underneath.

I used to struggle with Hair loss and it was driving me nuts, i ended up doing some hair growth surgery and it worked out well. But before that it was killing me, i always cared for my appearance especially being in a sales environment.

I had a friend in similar situation back in the day... He removed sugar from his diet completely, cut down on carbs, started to lift weights and then stuck with high protein diet with tons of vegetables. He's now a fuckin TANK bro... I highly suggest working out ASAP. You will see progress faster than you expect and you will learn discipline that you can use with your eating habits..Get FUCKIN JACKED BRO!

recreational drug abuse is a problem..gonna come back and bite me in the ass in the future.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IroncladFerret said:

Just wanted to make a thread where the can have some real talk with one another.

What is something you need help with or advice on, or just something you want to dump into the internet aether? Money, drugs, parents, school, depression, whatever...

To get the party started: My weight has been a huge issue for me. I love food and I'm fat as hell. Going to a doc next week to start a weight loss plan because I haven't really been seeing any changes with plain diet and exercise. I've put on a lot of muscle over the past few months, so my friends joke that I am going bearmode now...but I'd really like to slim down as well. My next step will probably be Keto of VLCD, but I want to get physician input.

Beyond that life is good. Job and education-wise I am fairly solid. This is just a major hole in my lifestyle that I need to address. Not really looking for advice - just wanted to dump what was on my mind. Feel free to do the same :)

Hey man I used to be pretty overweight when I was in high school. I'm not gonna tell you it's easy to lose weight and keep it off but it is something you can do if you work hard at it and don't give up. There will be days that it seems impossible but just keep pushing and you'll get through it.

For me though my hair is turning gray and im only 24. It kinda freaks me out and im not really sure if I should dye it or just let it do its thing 🤷‍♂️

2 hours ago, DemNoodlez said:

Sorry to hear homie, I know alot of people who suffer with obesity. Most of the time its usually genetics and your metabolism isnt as active as everyone elses, nothing to be ashamed of. What really matters is that you keep your cholesterol low, decrease your carb intake, take fiber pills in the morning. Never skip breakfast because it helps your metabolism. Again if your big its genetics, what really matters is if your healthy underneath.

I used to struggle with Hair loss and it was driving me nuts, i ended up doing some hair growth surgery and it worked out well. But before that it was killing me, i always cared for my appearance especially being in a sales environment.

One word: Finasteride. Thank me later

Two words: Life and College.

So im going to make a long story short for whats my struggle.

Im broke, im going back to college, as some of you may know my mom does have a terminal cancer, College is 1.5 hour away which i gotta drive daily, i need to get a new car as much as i love my little baby i need something bigger so my mom doesn't keep hitting her head every time she gets in, so i gotta drive 3 hours for school and balance school,work, doctor appointments, medical treatments. been doing this for about a year now but oh my lord life is too much sometimes. 

But i do really like the idea of this forum post and its nice to see im not the only struggling with some issues. love yall 

• Sad 2

40 minutes ago, Themistocles said:

alcohol

nuff said

Reading this while sipping on alcohol....

hinkhall.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'm also a fan of the alcohol. Like I know it'll kill me eventually but I'm sure WW3 or Civil War 2: Electric Boogaloo will do the job first.

Body image/weight is one for me too. I'm not big, but I'm also not thin. I was working out routinely (3-4x a week) for a year and a half, and with my current job - I don't have the time or energy to get back into the gym, especially since I need my body for when I'm working. I was tracking my macros and lifting sets, and was seeing improvements with numbers but body fat just did not want to go down. It sucks 'cause that's what I really wanted to see come off, but it's so damn stubborn. Gotta love the human body. :c

Negativity is another one. I'm very critical of myself - holding myself to the highest of expectations coupled with competitiveness is a recipe for disaster. Not to mention that everything can seem so... dark. Even the things that I enjoy the most (i.e., music, video games) can become dull at times.

Oh yeah, caffeine. I have a can of soda on the way to work, pick up 2 monsters at the gas station (usually drink them both during the day to get through the shift) and then usually have another can of soda when I get home - doesn't seem to effect my sleep too badly (unless I have it very late like around 8-9pm)

Posted (edited)

just gotta keep pushing through for all the people above^^^

but for me its family life. parents been divorced since i was two but thats not the problem. They dont care for me one bit,(alcoholics so for the people who struggle with alcohol take it from me when it can ruin others lives, yall  probably dont have kids or people who depend on you but still in the future it can) like they dont pay for me at all. I live with my step mother and she pays for everything in my life. so money is always tight and jobs are hard to find. She doesnt get paid for child support one bit even tho my mother and father can easily pay for it. custody battle does look like its going to happen but its hard to say that my parents cant take care of me when they have the money to do so.

Depression here and there as well 

Edited by CRACK
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, CRACK said:

I mean when you dig down to it depression is either the root cause of issues or the end result. It's a big mood.

• Like 1

Biggest struggle I'd say I have is my attitude. Someone has to try very hard to offend or bother me, so I end up thinking others are the same way, so I come off as a dick to a lot of people. I've cut a lot of bad habits pretty soon after I developed them, so I was lucky with that.

• Like 1

I would say that thinking a lot is my struggle in life. Like i think too much in small things, i count for everything for the far future. Well we of course have to think for everything and find solutions but for me it's way much. It's weird but i do care even about small things that's what i call it.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, CRACK said:

just gotta keep pushing through for all the people above^^^

but for me its family life. parents been divorced since i was two but thats not the problem. They dont care for me one bit,(alcoholics so for the people who struggle with alcohol take it from me when it can ruin others lives, yall  probably dont have kids or people who depend on you but still in the future it can) like they dont pay for me at all. I live with my step mother and she pays for everything in my life. so money is always tight and jobs are hard to find. She doesnt get paid for child support one bit even tho my mother and father can easily pay for it. custody battle does look like its going to happen but its hard to say that my parents cant take care of me when they have the money to do so.

You gotta appreciate a woman that will accept you as one of her own, and take care of you when no one else will, always appreciate her for that. I don't know how old you are, but if you are atleast 12(in my state atleast) you can choose who you want to live with, and the court system should work with you to make sure you get the care you deserve from whatever parent you may choose. I also know an alcoholic, and she the most selfish mean spirited person I have ever met, doesn't care an ounce about her kids, or her family. My advice is to just get away from them as best as you can.

15 hours ago, IroncladFerret said:

I have struggled a lot with weight too, in 2013, after I graduated highschool I got all the way up to 321lbs. Shortly after high school, my grandfather kicked me out of the house, I moved to Indiana with some family, got a really physical job working in a slaughter house shackling 500lbs hogs for 12 hours a day, so it was usually 100F on any given day. I learned to love the job, and over the course of about 6 months I lost 60lbs, I didn't even notice until I started getting comments, once I realized that the weight was just falling off, I really took advantage of that, and kept doing what I was doing, ended up losing about 140lbs within 1 year, got down to 181, and started building lots of muscle. If I can do it, so can you, good luck friend.

these photos are about 1 1/2 years apart 

4C477853-77BD-4B91-B7AC-3183C7D70022.jpeg

Edited by Ephex
  • Like 4

My biggest struggle is that I’m very insecure about my body. I have a lot of scars, on my arms, legs, back, abdomen, chest etc...

It does not bother me as much ad it once did, but I am still at a point where I can’t go shirtless to the beach etc.

I turned to lifting weights when I was a bit younger, I always see great progress in the gym and love the whole “bodybuilding lifestyle” despite being just a gymrat.

this has of course helped, but this is still something I struggle with every single day. No matter how much I amable to change my body, the scars still remain, and thay is a big mental struggle and insecurity for me.

not only does it hold me back from just going to the beach etc. But I also stopped pursuing women and relationships because I’m too insecure.

Nice to see the level of openness in this community, it's refreshing to see.

I've not really got anything that's put a major hold on my life. Some people will know i've lived with depression, anxiety and paranoia for a good 7 years and it makes me second guess a lot of things, even as small as getting a train, it kicks in and i'm like "shit what if i get the wrong train, is this the one i'm meant to get" "am i walking to fast, am i walking straight" then it all plays in my head like a lil fucked up circus while I try to tell it to all fuck off. Learning to drive fortunately took so much of a toll on my anxiety and paranoia that it's gotten better. 

Outside of mental issues the only real struggle i have is putting on weight and my temper. This may sound daft because i'm not anorexic, nor have high metabolism and generally have a normal kind of body but if i look in the mirror i gotta puff my stomach out to meet my ribs so it looks all normal, only time i can really look and be like "oh damn son work it" is if i get a good bit of lighting and the shadows lie to my brain making me look like i do daily ab work outs and curls (which i don't).  Fortunately I have very little problems with caring about other peoples views so i'm not bothered gettin my flat ass and dangly arms out (i'm 6.2 and they look like a pair of ape arms).

My temper, which is probably more prevalent when you play games with me can go a bit tits up some times, small things piss me off to abnormal effect, something as simple as repetition can set me off and cause me to curse you out or moan at something, e.g. saying my name 3 times when i can clearly hear you or having to move boxes of things (weird ik) can get me stressed. I have to have a tight hold IRL to not get pissed at someone to the point i want to hit them (fortunately not yet happened) because in my mind if i'm pissed and want to hit someone, imma hit em until they can't do shit which I personally think, if it ever comes to it i'll be going to prison so i generally avoid everything and anyone who can instigate violence.

TL:DR

Anxiety, depression, paranoia

Can't put on weight, not anorexic but I am skinny to a concerning point

I get mad quick, If i hit someone I might end up putting them in hospital

My biggest struggle i would have to say is gaining weight, My father, and his father both were very scrawny during high school, they were both very active with cross country, and I was very active in baseball and football, which was more. I have worked out everyday for 1-2 years years now, and eating perfectly, but still slow gaining process, sometimes genetics suck lol.

I struggle with keeping myself busy. If I have nothing to do, I begin to feel unproductive, which leads to me being a little depressed. 

I guess you can't really call this a struggle, but it's very similar to what Chuck said. My life is pretty boring, I hang out w/ friends and go out every so often, but all of those moments feel so empty. They feel like everyones nonexistent and I'm in my own selfish world. The only thing that keeps me somewhat entertained is playing games. And even that is getting boring. I think the problem is that everything around me isn't worth putting my all into, and because of that i feel like i'm just a waiting for something to happen. I love the feeling of trying my best, trying my hardest and of course having fun with it. Maybe I just have to go crazy at a local park and start climbing to highest point. But, I don't want to do that lol. I am going to the philippines in a few weeks so i'm really excited to go, but i need to find myself something to do in the mean time. c:

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

My biggest struggle is leaving behind my old life of partying, getting into trouble and being in a negative friendship. I have always been into computer games, but on my outside life I had a problem with partying and doing drugs like coke and molly. It was fun but it was ruining my life as my parents started to always get mad at me for always being hung over and/or sick from doing too much drugs the night before and obviously they didn't know I was doing drugs because ya who tells their parents they do drugs every time they party. I just happened to meet the wrong people who always wanted to get turnt and do dumb shit. I guess
I was a follower but I haven't been into that lifestyle a little after I turned 18 and got into a little bit of trouble due to drinking and fighting. I got charged with assault after punching someone that my so called friend started a fight with and got beat up in the process. It was a struggle getting away from those friends as I was already settled into being a party goer and recreational drug user but I knew what had to be done and I cut them all off. I have beer every now and then but now I do it alone as I need to find some new friends to do things with that don't involve excessive drinking and partying. Everyone has struggles but over coming those struggles is what makes us human.

Edited by Twisted

Anxiety and depression.

Posted (edited)

Imagine being productive for a whole week then getting sick and having to stay indoors for that whole duration, your mentality drains completely and I honestly was hating myself, I deal with that shit since I have lupus.

Edited by zillakami

i've never had a good relationship with my parents. they have always been strict but there were times where they were just being irrational. multiple times they have said to my face, "i don't love you", or "i wish you weren't my son". my junior year was when things started to go south. my senior year of high school was one of the lowest points of my life. that year, my best friend's boyfriend died back in 2017 due to heart complications. he was 18. her boyfriend was a good friend of mine (we played basketball together) and seeing her hurt so much really got to me.

i won't get into details, but the same week he died i got into an argument with my dad over something petty, and when my dad found out her boyfriend died, he said some pretty mean stuff about her boyfriend which weren't even true, which ticked me off. things elevated, and the following monday CPS was at my school (for reasons unmentioned). i was terrified of going home that day. i came home to my dad screaming at me and smashing things, and everything was just a huge mess.

i happened to have an appointment after school that day so i caught a lucky break. my dad took my phone so i couldn't talk to anyone. after the appointment my dad had to go get my little brother, so he dropped me off at home and left. this was my chance. i grabbed a hoodie, water bottles, and my penny board and dipped. i told my older brother that i was going to my youth pastor's house so if he wanted to find me i'd be there. it was only roughly 5 minutes before i heard police sirens in my neighborhood. (the hoodie was to switch clothing because i was sure he would call the police and describe what i was wearing) i skated through some of the worst neighborhoods to get to my youth pastor's house, keep in mind in the middle of the night, with nobody knowing where i was and no way to contact me. as i couldn't skate on the highway, there were times where i was on main roads and really just wanted to jump off of my board and jump in front of an incoming car. after four hours of riding my board i finally arrived around midnight. it was only after i had gotten to my pastor's house when i found out there were police officers from 3 different towns looking for me, as well as members from my church. 

the next day my whole class was going to my best friend's house to help console her, by just hanging out with her and singing worship songs. (yeah, i'm a christian) my friends had come to my house to pick me up, oblivious to anything that had happened so i just had to fake a smile. when we got to her house, however, i just sat there. i couldn't bring myself to sing or even look anyone in the eye. people asked me what was up but i would just tell them i wasn't feeling well. only one of my friends was aware of the hell i had been through in the past 24 hours, but he didn't mention anything. i really owe it to him for being there for me in one of my darkest times as well as the rest of my senior year. if it wasn't for him i probably would have committed suicide months ago. 

for most people their senior year of high school is a year where they try to enjoy what time they have left at high school and get ready for college. for me, i was looking for reasons on a daily basis as to why i shouldn't just kill myself. this is how things were until i graduated. my dad even said to my face that he wasn't coming to graduation the day before. (of course, he went to save face)

i've never been medically diagnosed with severe depression but this is as real as it gets. at times i wanted to take my mom's credit card, purchase a handgun and just shoot myself in the face in front of my family. i'm thankful for the people around me that God has put in my life that have been an encouragement/have lifted me up.

i am definitely in a better place now in my life, and continue for things to appreciate in life, something that is so finite and precious. i'm no therapist but if you ever need someone to talk to, add me on steam. my DMs are always open, and i'm all ears.

i know from what you've seen on the servers i come off as a goofball messing around on JB or owning indi on pub with the scout, but i am not new to struggling with trials alone nor will i turn a blind eye from someone who is hurting. there are people out there who care about you. it isn't easy to go to people and reach out, but it lightens the burden. i'm glad there are people on GP who have a sense of transparency and are willing to share and talk.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I'm too god damn sexy.

1551476379645.thumb.png.6cd68c12ff35a57408ff22a1241d850c.png