Sign in to follow this  
Spike

Spike; Resume (by popular demand)

6 posts in this topic

So I casually mentioned that I'm looking for work and that I'm having issues getting hired, and about 5 different people asked to see my resume, soooo

Obviously I removed any personal data, but I guess look it over and give me some advice?

gpresume.docx

Based off what I learned about Resumes 

• Table format is always a no go.
  • You points about what you did at the job honestly dont seem that professional use the star method - Situation, Task, Action, Result
    • For example " Managed time so as to perform duties efficiently and quickly." is a bit weird to read, it doesn't sound right. 
  • I would personally use a proper function resume ( highlights abilities, and skills)
  • Also at the end of Additional activities im kinda confused what that date is considering its different from the top and doesn't say anything
  • If you are applying online you definitely need to get rid of the table and you can use the website Jobscan.co to help match it to a job posting
  • Add a personal summary about what you did if you get rid of the table that way it instantly points out who you are and what you can do. 

But I personally think you should do a bit more research into building your resume especially if your trying to get into a more professional job. 

I agree with above. I'm going to be SUPER frank as a guy who reviews dozens of resumes every hiring season:

• Format is hot garbage. Use a template. Universities will generally have sample student resume formats you can follow: http://pwp.gatech.edu/gt1000-textbook/wp-content/uploads/sites/658/2017/08/Sample-Student-Resume-1.pdf
  • While it is common to have responsibilities, it is better to think of them as accomplishments. You worked at a tropical smoothie...cool. Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer or co-worker. Managed time? Tell me about a specific instance where your time management was essential.
  • No one cares that you graduated a year early or did college math. Just list your academics like the sample I linked.
  • Listing soft skills is worthless, integrate it into the descriptions of your responsibilities/accomplishments. You're a natural leader? Prove it by describing how that shined when you trained two employees
  • Photographic memory? If that's true, that is worth listing in a more specific way. Describe how you used your photographic memory to solve a problem or win a competition.
  • Make your hard-skills more specific as well. Tech Savvy? What does that mean? Do you know how to program? What language?
  • Interests..."medieval combat training"...unless you are applying for security jobs, skip that ish.

You have minimal work experience. I would boost this with a Clubs section and a Projects section, talking about key roles you played in clubs and some projects you did in your tech school related to the "hands-on" experience you mentioned.

Post an update and I'll take another look. If you do, just change your name to Spike in the next version and replace the school names with GamePunch University or something if you post it, so we can see the final format better.

Just to add onto what we have said, if you have any good work examples for this job, be more professional than most and create a whole portfolio to broadcast the work you have done. Portfolios are a great way to stand out especially when talking to a manger 

Edited by Sky

Thank you guys loads. I'll work on it when I can and post the updated one soon.