ThatsNotLogical

jb_surf - Need Suggestions

19 posts in this topic

I’ve been working on a map for a while on my off time, I finally have the basic layout completed, I’m just in need of some surf based games/games in general that you like on other maps.

as you can imagine I’ve tried to incorporate a surf ramp in almost every part of the map I can, so there’s going to be some pretty interesting secrets. This is my biggest project I’ve worked on with source so any suggestions will be nice.

Im looking for: Games, songs, secret locations/gun spawns. 

Edit: 9/21 I have got 3 games currently, regular Surf, bhop, and I have deathrun in the process of being built. 

Edited by ThatsNotLogical
  • Like 2

You know the map ba_marioparty or something where the cells open on the bottom and you fall out?

I was thinking if I ever do a second jailbreak map I'd have cells like that with a ski underneath that goes to where the CT's are, something similar to that might work well in a surf-themed map.

As far as surf games go, you could do a surf the gap, farthest jump with surf (look at iceworld), I'd say a mancannon would probably be a good call because you could use a surf to slow down your fall.

Feel free to decompile my map and take whatever you want from it

edit: with the mancannon game you could have varying levels of difficulty by having different slope angles on surf

Edited by Tring
  • Like 1

There’s tons of surf ideas you could use for this map. If you have some ideas let me know and I can help give you some additional ones. 

24 minutes ago, Glow said:

There’s tons of surf ideas you could use for this map. If you have some ideas let me know and I can help give you some additional ones. 

Going back to what tring said, I’m interested in adding things like surf the gap, farthest jump. But along with surf I want to add regular map games, like deathrun and knife arena, jump rope, and of course soccer and pool.

Grammar
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThatsNotLogical said:

Going back to what tring said, I’m interested in adding things like surf the gap, farthest jump. But along with surf I want to add regular map games, like deathrun and knife arena, jump rope, and of course soccer and pool.

Do you have anything made currently? I’d be interested in giving some ideas if there’s anything being made in the process 

Just now, Glow said:

Do you have anything made currently? I’d be interested in giving some ideas if there’s anything being made in the process 

I edited my post with the current games I have and are in the process of building: regular surf bhop and deathrun is being built. 

23 minutes ago, ThatsNotLogical said:

I edited my post with the current games I have and are in the process of building: regular surf bhop and deathrun is being built. 

I mean made as in created. Would like to see some screenshots ! Feel free to message them to me if you don't want them public just yet

Surf based jailbreak map sounds really cool! Super pumped for this.

I like the idea of a big open area with surf ramps leading to different sections of the map (pool, minigames, bhop, more surf). Surf_spongebob is a cool reference for open surfing area and secrets:

Something like this but less complicated (ie. with cell block in the middle and then 4 ramps, one on each side leading to different zones). Secrets that require some more advanced surfing skills to reach would be cool too.

Some surf-themed songs: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNLuZfA4eO8 (jb_surfcity????) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s4slliAtQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p13yZAjhU0M

Anyways do your thing, these are just some ideas, not sure how much you have done on your map already or what exact direction you want to take. Send some screenshots if you can!

Now I don’t want to give any screenshots out yet 😛 but here is how it looks now, I’ll start to send out more when I texture and finish some of the games, b/c right now if you though the windows they are still nodraw. And yes, a lot of that open space will be filled up with little fun things like lr games and fun things that allow the warden to be creative!

image.jpg

15 minutes ago, [blur] said:

Surf based jailbreak map sounds really cool! Super pumped for this.

I like the idea of a big open area with surf ramps leading to different sections of the map (pool, minigames, bhop, more surf). Surf_spongebob is a cool reference for open surfing area and secrets:

Something like this but less complicated (ie. with cell block in the middle and then 4 ramps, one on each side leading to different zones). Secrets that require some more advanced surfing skills to reach would be cool too.

Some surf-themed songs: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNLuZfA4eO8 (jb_surfcity????) 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s4slliAtQU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p13yZAjhU0M

Anyways do your thing, these are just some ideas, not sure how much you have done on your map already or what exact direction you want to take. Send some screenshots if you can!

Yeah, I’ll make a video showcasing the secrets on the map when it comes out publicly, im planning on making some pretty complex ones using all the surf ramps. Also I originally wanted to make it so you surf to the games but if you think about it, it will cause to many problems. Also thanks for the songs :D I’ll look into adding these when disco is made! And yes, CTs will surf out of armory, I’m also looking to see if I can make it so surfing could possibly heal you? But I might just scrap that idea.

• Like 1

Man I LOVE this idea!!! Everyone knows i'm a huge surf fan haha.

A game that comes to mind would be a surf/man cannon combo, basically you have a surf ramp with a very fast booster and 3 small pools for the T's to land in (easy,medium,hard)

If you need help testing anything on your map give me a shout man, I have over 2000 hours on surf.

make some invisible surf ramps that leads to some sort of secret, I think that could be cool, since it would require some skill to get to the secret (if made correctly)

-Decided to change the theme (Source lighting doesn’t like solid textures apparently)

-added the pit

-added working lighting

Expect the first playable version late December to early January!

6429A1A6-475B-4D41-8D58-23C78D4D7A00.jpeg

• Like 4

Yay an update! Can't wait to see how this turns out 😎

cant wait to rebel

• Haha 1

Here is a tip you may want hammer patch if you are making it mostly surf. https://github.com/crashfort/HammerPatch

Its not necessary for normal mapping but with surf you will have curved ramps which will be off grid. When you save and load the vmf the brush will move slightly if its off grid and will mess up collisions causing people to get stuck in some areas. Only downside is it will take more time to load the map so I would probably wait to use it till your actually building the surf.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

This is a genius, yet mad idea. 

Probs to giving the concept a go, i'd be lost trying to avoid them pesky bhoppers.

Talking games, colours. 1 ramp, 6 colours split along the ramp like a rainbow, surf to each colour? not sure how well it'd work out but pff. surf. maybe have them start on top of the ramp before start?

Edited by Ohhdandy

41 minutes ago, !NickelPlated45 said:

Here is a tip you may want hammer patch if you are making it mostly surf. https://github.com/crashfort/HammerPatch

Its not necessary for normal mapping but with surf you will have curved ramps which will be off grid. When you save and load the vmf the brush will move slightly if its off grid and will mess up collisions causing people to get stuck in some areas. Only downside is it will take more time to load the map so I would probably wait to use it till your actually building the surf.

Thanks for notifying me about this, I didn't know this existed, will definalty save me some frustration when building surf ramps.