Assassin Mike

Looking at buying a new PC

24 posts in this topic

So I think it’s time to retire the laptop from gaming and i’m looking at getting a new PC, does anyone have any suggestions on good PC’s ?  Not looking to break the bank but I want something decent.

I would suggest building your own :P
It's never been easier and a better time to build a PC, go for it!
I'm currently planning on building a PC myself later this year.

• Like 1

builds are fun and usually cheaper depending on what youre looking at

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, CRACK said:

builds are fun and usually cheaper depending on what youre looking at

I don’t have any experience in building PC’s, is it hard ? 

51 minutes ago, Assassin Mike said:

It's really not at all. Most of the pieces snap together like legos. The only place you could really mess up is applying thermal paste to your cpu, but one quick youtube video watch and you'll be good to go. The hardest part is making sure all your pieces are compatible, but the link ohhdandy posted will do that for you. generally it seems to me that buying the parts on your own and building it is 20% - 40% cheaper 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Assassin Mike said:

It's like building lego dude, easy

• Like 1

The only thing to really be careful with when building one is lining up pins n shit, you put a CPU down wrong then rip 200 - 300 $/£ or w/e. If that scares you, you can buy pre-made boards, generally they aren't anything special but just look on youtube on how to set a CPU, how much paste to put on (a small blob).

But like Huge said, it's all just putting stuff into places, and you'll always be given manufacturers information with a new Mobo telling you how to position your power, reset, LED pins etc. most new boards come with pre-configured adaptor blocks which are colour coded. 

Just if you do, put the backing plate on first not last :')

yeah if you are just smart about it and follow the yt video you should be good

• Like 1

Youtube is a great place to look at some how to build videos, and www.pcpartpicker.com is a great way to find stuff as it lists out everything you need and can also find the best prices there on hardware and software 👍

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Assassin Mike said:

Thanks a lot guys ! I think I will build ! Any good suggestions for combos ?!? Or websites to order from ?

Look around for each part, newegg is usually a go to though. A couple other things to keep in mind:

I'd make sure you get a motherboard that isn't going to lose support soon so you can continue upgrading you GPU and CPU for a while. Buying a new MOBO just always feels like a lateral move.

I'd also make sure your PSU supports a higher voltage than what you're going to need for the same reason. It would suck to buy one that covers your PC, upgrade to a better GPU, and have to upgrade your PSU at the same time.

My suggestions might cost a little more, but it will save you money in the long run as you can improve your PC from then on without having to buy hardware that really doesn't help your PC run faster. Also feel free to DM me about any specific questions you have :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Assassin Mike said:

Thanks a lot guys ! I think I will build ! Any good suggestions for combos ?!? Or websites to order from ?

Get a 2080:)

• Like 1

There should be some shops that build pc for you. All you do is buy the parts. Definately cheaper. My dumbass went to best buy spent 2500 on a pc then found this out. Too lazy to return it lmao. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ohhdandy said:

What kinda budget you got? 

Not overly sure what it costs to build a decent tower, still looking into it. Have any suggestions ?

28 minutes ago, Assassin Mike said:

Not overly sure what it costs to build a decent tower, still looking into it. Have any suggestions ?

My PC cost me 1.2 to build (cheaper to do so now R.I.P) and plays everything but if you wanted to go cheaper you can cut 300 off just with a dif GPU and CPU.

AMD is generally the "budget" option, you can pick up a quad core from their RYZEN CPU's for 80 (pounds) off amazon with 3.2 clock and 8mb cache which is comparable to a i5 quad which is at 160 (pounds). Pair that with a MOBO, you've got a Quad core with 3.2 (up 3.4) ghz for 160, compared to what might be near 300 with intel. just to give you a price idea. 

There are advantages to spending more on intel, generally more threads, cache and higher clock speeds but not always necessary for some stuff, so I'd spend time looking at a couple to see what might suit you. i5 is more like a hybrid chip, it's good for casual and game use, i7 is good for both but can handle more stress. I'd compare AM4 socket type CPU's to Intels 1151, 1150 sockets.  Pretty much the only choice that matters is getting a CPU that can take what you need, outside of that everything else is a straight forward choice. GPU just pick one in the 3gb - 8-gb range with decent enough speeds and at least 16gb ram at 2400 or higher.

All that ramble in mind, you can build a budget PC with AMD Ryzen 5, with like a 1050ti, 16gb of standard crucial ram and a 650 watt psu for like 450, case for 30 - 60, windows for free if you already got a key / free upgrade, hard drives you can pick up cheap second hand if need be, if not like 50 for 2tb WD drive, another 60 for 250 GB SSD, so that's 530 - 580 based off the stuff i've looked at. But that's up to you. (all amazon price referencing)

TLDR: 530 can be a minimum for a AMD system, costs more for Intel (like 300 - 400 more for decent cpu and board)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ohhdandy said:

My PC cost me 1.2 to build (cheaper to do so now R.I.P) and plays everything but if you wanted to go cheaper you can cut 300 off just with a dif GPU and CPU.

AMD is generally the "budget" option, you can pick up a quad core from their RYZEN CPU's for 80 (pounds) off amazon with 3.2 clock and 8mb cache which is comparable to a i5 quad which is at 160 (pounds). Pair that with a MOBO, you've got a Quad core with 3.2 (up 3.4) ghz for 160, compared to what might be near 300 with intel. just to give you a price idea. 

There are advantages to spending more on intel, generally more threads, cache and higher clock speeds but not always necessary for some stuff, so I'd spend time looking at a couple to see what might suit you. i5 is more like a hybrid chip, it's good for casual and game use, i7 is good for both but can handle more stress. I'd compare AM4 socket type CPU's to Intels 1151, 1150 sockets.  Pretty much the only choice that matters is getting a CPU that can take what you need, outside of that everything else is a straight forward choice. GPU just pick one in the 3gb - 8-gb range with decent enough speeds and at least 16gb ram at 2400 or higher.

All that ramble in mind, you can build a budget PC with AMD Ryzen 5, with like a 1050ti, 16gb of standard crucial ram and a 650 watt psu for like 450, case for 30 - 60, windows for free if you already got a key / free upgrade, hard drives you can pick up cheap second hand if need be, if not like 50 for 2tb WD drive, another 60 for 250 GB SSD, so that's 530 - 580 based off the stuff i've looked at. But that's up to you. (all amazon price referencing)

TLDR: 530 can be a minimum for a AMD system, costs more for Intel (like 300 - 400 more for decent cpu and board)

I may need tour assistance when I order parts haha, I’m a newbie 

7 hours ago, Ohhdandy said:

Dandy he doesnt know what any of this means:)

Okay, so after looking around on PC part picker i noticed they have "build guides"

I really think this "modest AMD gaming build" is really good for the price.

They also had one for intel, but with less impressive power for the price.

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/csQzK8/modest-amd-gaming-build

The MOBO seems open to upgrade and the computer is more than enough to handle what you want to use it for.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, NoBreadInSpace said:

Okay, so after looking around on PC part picker i noticed they have "build guides"

I really think this "modest AMD gaming build" is really good for the price.

They also had one for intel, but with less impressive power for the price.

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/csQzK8/modest-amd-gaming-build

The MOBO seems open to upgrade and the computer is more than enough to handle what you want to use it for.

Is this everything I would need ? (Newbie)

i like the price haha

Edited by Assassin Mike

Posted (edited)

https://www.amazon.ca/Rosewill-Tempered-Computer-Blue-Pre-Installed/dp/B07DJ7DNJ3/ref=mp_s_a_1_15?crid=1TAEE19S7089A&keywords=pc+case&qid=1556568937&s=gateway&sprefix=pc+&sr=8-15

Found this case, really like it and an added bonous it comes with a good fan setup, would it be compatible with the parts in that parts list ? (Newbie)

Also really like this one and it seems to support more

https://www.amazon.ca/Rosewill-Computer-Tempered-Liquid-cooling-Pre-installed/dp/B01M6TV6PC/ref=mp_s_a_1_29?crid=1TAEE19S7089A&keywords=pc+case&qid=1556568937&s=gateway&sprefix=pc+&sr=8-29

Edited by Assassin Mike